- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Documents by type
- Consultation drafts (CDs)
- Discussion papers (DPs)
- Draft advisory circulars (ACs)
- Draft acceptable means of compliance / guidance material (AMC/GM)
- Draft civil aviation advisory publications (CAAPs)
- Final ACs
- Final AMC/GMs
- Final CAAPs
- Notices of final rule making (NFRMs)
- Notices of proposed rule making (NPRMs)
- Policy proposals (PPs)
- Summary of responses and summary of consultation
A consultation draft (CD) is used when public consultation is required to finalise policy, introduce changes or make improvements to standards. Depending on the proposal it can vary in detail and can include any associated advisory documents being developed or amended as a result of and consequential to the proposal. In most cases, the CD describes the proposed policy intent and expected outcomes rather than detailing the specific standards. Where a suitably mature version of the drafted regulation or legislation is available, it is included as an Annex to the CD for consultation with the intent to settle the policy.
A discussion paper (DP) is used to seek public comment on whether CASA should proceed with new legislation or to initiate a change to existing standards. It proposes preliminary concepts for the introduction of new legislation or changes to existing standards or to test options to reduce identified safety risks. Where the analysed responses indicate that CASA should proceed with the proposed policy, a consultation document (CD) is issued.
A policy proposal (PP) is used to seek feedback on a clearly selected regulatory change option. The PP analyses the important regulatory issue or problem.
A PP typically includes overarching policy statements, and would contain:
- identified regulatory issues or regulatory amendments
- consultation history
- supporting research for the policy proposal, any implications such as cost to industry
- proposed policy statements
- feasible strategies for implementing the regulatory change.
Notices of proposed rule making
Formal consultation takes place once policy and technical options have been assessed more thoroughly and recommendations for legislative (and non-legislative) change have been identified. The NPRM may include the draft regulations, if available.
Note: NPRMs have now been replaced by Consultation Drafts.
Draft advisory circulars
Advisory circulars (ACs) are advisory material to support the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR). Draft ACs are often released for public and aviation community consultation before they are finalised. A draft AC may be published as an annex to an NPRM or as a standalone consultation document.
Draft acceptable means of compliance / guidance material (AMC/GM)
The Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material (AMC/GM) explains how you can meet the requirements of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASRs) when you’re applying for a certificate, licence, approval or other authorisation. Draft AMC/GMs are often released for public and aviation community consultation before they are finalised. A draft AMC/GM is usually published as a standalone consultation document.
Draft civil aviation advisory publications
Draft civil aviation advisory publications (CAAPs) are advisory material to support the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR). Draft CAAPs are often released for public and aviation community consultation before they are finalised. A draft CAAP is usually published as a standalone consultation document.
Final advisory circulars
Final acceptable means of compliance / guidance material (AMC/GM)
Final civil aviation advisory publications
Summary of responses and summary of consultation
Summary of responses
We usually issue a summary of response (SOR) after we've evaluated the responses to a DP or NPRM and have made a decision not to proceed with the proposal.
For proposals that have proceeded to further consultation or rulemaking, the SOR is usually included as an annex within the subsequent document:
- NPRM (for a summary of responses to a preceding DP).
Note: SORs have now been replaced by a Summary of consultation (SOC).
Summary of consultation
A summary of consultation (SOC) is issued after a consultation closes and all responses have been evaluated. The SOC:
- reiterates the purpose of the consultation and proposed amendments
- provides an overview of the responses, including:
- statistics on any multiple choice questions
- the number of respondents providing public and confidential submissions
- a summary of all feedback received
- an overview of any key policy changes and amendments to the proposed rules made in response to the feedback received
- the next steps that CASA plans to take towards further consultation and/or rule making.
Notices of final rule making
After the comment period for an NPRM has closed and we've evaluated the responses, we usually issue an NFRM, which includes:
- a summary of the responses received
- how the proposals in the NPRM were resolved
- the final rules approved by the Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development and made by the Governor-General.
Note: NFRMs have now been replaced by a Summary of consultation (SOC).