- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 5 - Safety management
Part 5 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) and its associated manual of standards are currently being developed. They aim to set out a consistent standard for Safety Management Systems (SMS) across the aviation industry. Industry consultation on CASR Part 5 will occur throughout Project SS 15/04.
Who Part 5 affects
Part 5 will affect holders of authorisations currently requiring an SMS, and the future holders of authorisations for rules not yet in force, including:
- CAO 82.3 and CAO 82.5 RPT AOCs
- CASR Part 119 AOCs - associated with Parts 121, 135 and 133
- CASR Part 138 aerial work certificates (where Part 138 requires an SMS)
- CASR Part 139 aerodrome certificates (where Part 139 requires an SMS)
- CASR Part 142 AOCs
- CASR Part 145 certificates
- CASR Part 149 organisations
- CASR Part 171 service provider approvals
- CASR Part 172 ATS provider approvals
- CASR Part 173 certified designer approvals
- CASR Part 175 AIS provider certificates.
Projects are opened to revise a CASR Part.
Part 21 open projects include:
Consultation and project activities
CASR Part 5 is currently being developed but you can view the existing safety management systems rules.
Advisory material provide advice and guidance to explain particular regulatory requirements of a CASR Part.
|CAAP SMS-01 v1.1 (pdf 814.44 KB)||Safety management systems for regular public transport operations||October 2018|
|CAAP SMS-2(0) (pdf 116.08 KB)||Integration of Human Factors (HF) into Safety Management Systems (SMS)||January 2009|
|CAAP SMS-3(1) (pdf 317.28 KB)||
Non-Technical Skills Training and Assessment for Regular Public Transport Operations
|CAAP SMS-4(0) (pdf 220.45 KB)||Guidance on the establishment of a Flight Data Analysis Program (FDAP) – Safety Management Systems(SMS)||August 2011|
|AC 21-1(1) (pdf 67.47 KB)||Aircraft Airworthiness Certification Categories and Designations Explained||December 2000|
|AC 139-16(1) (pdf 541.13 KB)||Safety Management Systems for Aerodromes||January 2013|
|AC 171-3(0) (pdf 41.12 KB)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for the preparation of a safety management system (SMS)||March 2006|
|AC 172-1(0) (pdf 38.37 KB)||Guidelines for preparing a Safety Management System (SMS)||September 2005|