- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 173 - Instrument flight procedure design
Part 173 of CASR prescribes the requirements for the certification of designers of instrument approach and departure procedures, including:
- the qualifications and training required for persons engaged in instrument flight procedure design
- the procedures to be used by organisations in the conduct of design work
- provisions for on-going maintenance of procedures.
Who Part 173 affects
Part 173 affects:
- organisations intending to provide a design service, including aviation consultants, aircraft operators and airport owners/operators
- individuals employed by certified designers who must meet minimum qualification and experience standards
- CASA staff who are responsible for administering the certification of designers and their ongoing compliance.
Projects are opened to revise a CASR Part.
Part 173 open projects include:
- Project SS 14/07 - Review of guidance material for the development and implementation of Safety Management Systems
- Project AS 04/02 – Post Implementation Review of CASR Part 173 - Instrument Flight Procedure Design.
Consultation and project activities
Current rules in effect for Part 173 include:
Advisory material provide advice and guidance to explain particular regulatory requirements of a CASR Part.
|AC 173-1(0)||Instrument flight procedure design: Applications for procedure design certificate||May 2003|
|AC 173-2(0)||Instrument flight procedure design: Approval of the appointment of a chief designer||May 2003|
|AC 173-3(0)||Instrument flight procedure design: Approval of courses||May 2003|
|AC 173-04 v2.1||Instrument procedures design: Clarification of RNAV and BARO/VNAV criteria||July 2016|
|AC 173-05 v1.0||Off-shore helicopter obstacle clearance check procedure||March 2017|