- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 171 - Aeronautical telecommunication service and radio navigation service providers
Part 171 of CASR 1998 prescribes the regulatory requirements and standards for the approval of organisations that provide, operate, and maintain aeronautical telecommunications used for air traffic services, and radio-navigation services used for air navigation.
Part 171 covers:
- procedures for approval of providers
- eligibility of service providers
- obligations and privileges of approved providers
- services to be provided
- qualifications and competency of technicians
- requirements and standards to be complied with by providers
- contents to be included in a provider's Operations Manual
- Safety Management System requirements
The Part requires service providers to comply with the standards of Annex 10 Aeronautical Telecommunications to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
Who Part 171 affects
Part 171 affects:
- Airservices Australia (currently the exclusive provider of aeronautical telecommunications and radionavigation services)
- prospective providers of aeronautical telecommunications services.
To a lesser extent Part 171 affects:
- the aviation community
- users of services, particularly IFR pilots using aeronautical radionavigation services.
Projects are opened to revise a CASR Part.
Part 171 open projects include:
- Project AS 18/06 - Review of Part 171 of CASR and MOS - proposed improvements
- Project SS 14/07 - Review of guidance material for the development and implementation of Safety Management Systems.
Consultation and project activities
Current rules in effect for Part 91 include:
- Part 171 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998
- Part 171 Manual of Standards – Aeronautical Telecommunication and Radio Navigation Services.
Advisory material provide advice and guidance to explain particular regulatory requirements of a CASR Part.
|AC 171-1(0)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for complying with the Part 171 requirements and standards||(March 2006)|
|AC 171-2(0)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for the preparation of safety cases covering CASR Part 171 services||(March 2006)|
|AC 171-3(0)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for the preparation of a safety management system (SMS)||(March 2006)|
|AC 171-4(0)||Software and its use in Aeronautical Telecommunication and Radio Navigation Services||(November 2006)|