- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online tools and apps
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Remotely piloted aircraft systems annual census
Welcome to the remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) annual census.
We have provided some important information for you to read before commencing the census.
Commencement: Thursday 7 June
Closure: Thursday 5 July
The census requires information relating to all ReOC holders' operational activity for the 2017 calendar year.
If you or your organisation did not operate in 2017 you are still able to participate in the census to provide feedback. While we understand some operators may have commenced as a ReOC in late 2017, your information is still important to us and we require you to complete the census.
Please nominate a single person to be responsible for the submission and any contact with us regarding the census. This person should hold a senior management position, for example:
- Chief Executive Officer/Director
- Chief Remote Pilot
- Safety Manager or Chief Operating Officer.
We will use your responses to inform aviation safety initiatives. Your efforts in providing accurate responses is appreciated.
Completing the census online
You will receive an email with your link to the census.
You can complete the census over multiple days. You can save your answers and exit the census at any time.
If you are unsure of any terms used within the census please refer to the remotely piloted aircraft system definitions and abbreviations.
If you need to discuss any aspect of the census email RPASAnnualCensus@casa.gov.au.
Frequently asked questions
- How many people are participating in the census and who?
- We're sending invitations to all holders of UOCs/ReOCs that were valid at any time in 2017.
- How long will the census run for?
- Respondents will have until Thursday 5 July to complete the census. CASR 117.015 (3) has provision for operators to apply for an extension to this period. If you wish to seek an extension please email to RPASAnnualCensus@casa.gov.au.
- Where can I access the census?
- A link to the census will be included in the email you receive from us. If you are a ReOc holder and did not receive an email you can contact us at RPASAnnualCensus@casa.gov.au to and we will re-send the link to you.
Log in/Technical issues
- I've lost or never received my login details—how do I get them?
- For lost or deleted email: Contact RPASAnnualCensus@casa.gov.au and we will re-send the link.
- I'm having technical issues—who do I talk to help me?
- If you experience technical issues with the census please email with details to RPASAnnualCensus@casa.gov.au.
- Can I save my census and come back later?
- The census tool will record the responses for each page as you complete them. Clicking the link provided in the email will return you to the first uncompleted page in the census.
- Why is the census mandatory? On what grounds are you making the census mandatory?
- The census is mandatory so that we can obtain an accurate view of each operator, including the type and amount of activities conducted. CASR Part 117 permits us to make this collection mandatory.
- What action will you take against me if don't complete the census?
- Our coordinated enforcement process would be used to determine the appropriate action.
Data and information gathering
- Is the census anonymous?
- No. We are collecting data from each operator on the type of activities conducted and the level of activity in 2017.
- Who will you be sharing the data with?
- We will analyse the data and we'll use the results to produce a report on the state of RPAS operations in Australia for 2017. This report will contain aggregate data only and will be made available on our website.
- What will you do with the information from the census?
- The information will be used to measure the size of the RPA industry and, using last years' responses, the rate of growth. This information will help to inform strategic decisions around resource allocation.
- I've just got my ReOC in 2018, how do I participate or get log in details?
- We will invite you to participate in the RPAS annual census for the 2018 calendar year.
- I hold a RePL, why aren't you asking me to complete the census?
- The census is sent to ReOC holders, not individual remote pilots.