CD 1516MS - Proposed amendment to Schedule 5 of CAR 1988
Schedule 5 forms part of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) and was originally part of Appendix 4 of Section 100.5.1 of the Air Navigation Orders. Amendments to the Schedule have lagged behind technological advances. CASA proposes a revision to Schedule 5 to remove obsolete requirements.
Some of the radionavigation infrastructure systems referenced in the Schedule are no longer in use in Australia. For example, the Omega Very Low Frequency radionavigation system ceased operational use in Australia in 1997.
In addition to technological changes, some of the mandatory requirements in the Schedule, such as fuel quantity indication and pitot/static checks, have been migrated to Section 100.5 of the Civil Aviation Orders.
Schedule 5 also specifies the ATC transponder code for conducting maintenance tests. The code currently specified in Schedule 5 is not compliant with standards detailed in Annex 10 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (the Chicago Convention). CASA and Airservices Australia specify the Chicago Convention compliant code, which is referenced in both AD/RAD/47 and the Aeronautical Information Package.
The proposed changes to Schedule 5 would include:
- paragraphs (4)(a), (b), (c) and (d) of Section 5: remove reference to repealed section 108.34 of the Civil Aviation Orders and substitute in accordance with approved maintenance data for the system
- paragraph (4)(g) of Section 5: remove the paragraph to inspect Omega/VLF system as this is an obsolete radionavigation system
- paragraph (4)(k) of Section 5: remove the paragraph to check ATC transponder system for correct performance using code 0101, as this has been replaced by AD/RAD/47 using the ICAO-compliant code 2100.
How to respond
Please forward your response to CASA by 28 August 2015 by one of the following means:
- Post (no stamp required in Australia)
Reply Paid 2005
Standards Documentation Coordinator
CASA's Standards Development and Quality Assurance Branch
Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
- Email email@example.com
13 August 2015
- CD 1516MS - Proposed amendment to Schedule 5 of CAR 1988 (224KB)
All comments should be submitted via the Project Leader, Ben Challender by close of business 28 August 2015.