CD 1508OS - Fuel and oil quantity requirements
Regulation 234 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) requires the pilot-in-command of an aircraft to take reasonable steps to ensure that the aircraft carries sufficient quantities of fuel and oil for the proposed flight to be undertaken safely. The regulation also requires the operator of an aircraft to take reasonable steps to ensure that an aircraft does not begin a flight unless it is carrying sufficient fuel and oil to allow the flight to be conducted safely.
Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) reports have revealed incidents and accidents directly related to carriage of insufficient quantities of fuel. CASA proposes to address this safety issue by amending regulation 234 of CAR to provide updated fuel and oil requirements.
The current regulation 234 of CAR allows courts to consider any guidelines provided by CASA when determining whether sufficient fuel and oil were carried on a flight, which includes the guidelines provided in CAAP 234-1(1). While some of the information provided in the CAAP should be read as a requirement empowered by the current regulation 234, other information is advisory in nature. CASA intends to the make clearer the distinction between the regulatory requirements and the guidance material by transferring the requirements for determination of fuel and oil quantity from the CAAP to a proposed legislative instrument.
How to respond
Please forward your response to CASA by 16 March 2016 by one of the following means:
- Post (no stamp required in Australia)
Reply Paid 2005
Standards Documentation Coordinator
CASA’s Standards Development and Quality Assurance Branch
Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
20 January 2016
- SPC to CD 1508OS
- Annex A - Draft Civil Aviation Amendment (Fuel and Oil Requirements) Regulation 2016
- Annex B – Draft Civil Aviation (Fuel Requirements) Instrument 2016
- Annex C - Summary of key changes introduced by Civil Aviation (Fuel Requirements) Instrument 2016
- Annex D – Draft Civil Aviation Order 82.0 Amendment Order 2016 (No.X)
- Annex E – Draft CAAP 234-1(2) – Guidelines for aircraft fuel requirements