- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project AS 10/13 - Air Traffic Management technology implementation
Airspace and Aerodromes
Project closed 4 August 2014.
In 2010, CASA commenced a program to implement wider use of satellite technology (Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)) for aircraft navigation and position determination and air-ground data-links.
Subsequently, CASA introduced progressive requirements for IFR aircraft to be fitted with suitable automatic dependent surveillance - broadcast (ADS-B) and GNSS navigation equipment by certain key dates. Ultimately, all aircraft under the IFR must be equipped:
- for GNSS navigation by 4 February 2016
- to transmit ADS-B by 2 February 2017.
With all proposed changes in place, the project objective has been achieved and the project IS NOW complete.
On 31 January 2012, CASA published NPRM 1105AS which proposed amendments to:
- CAO 20.18: Amendment Schedule amends and adds to section 9B new sections 9D and 9E; and
- Division 5 of CAR 1988 Airborne collision avoidance systems - turbine-powered commercial aeroplanes.
The purpose of NPRM 1105AS was to establish mandatory avionics equipage in specified applicable categories of aircraft operating in particular classes of airspace or at particular major aerodromes. The aircraft avionics equipage was to provide for:
- Future satellite based navigation by aircraft operated under the IFR to replace navigation by reference to ground-based navigation aids;
- Mode S and ADS-B based electronic surveillance of aircraft for the purposes of ATM; and
- The latest version of TCAS equipment, termed TCAS II Version 7.1, to be fitted to newly registered turbine powered aeroplanes used in public transport services.
Contact: Jan Goosen, Team Leader ATM System Standards
26 August 2013
- Consultation Draft for Exemption - temporary relief period from requirement to carry serviceable ADS-B transmitting equipment when operating in defined exempted airspace
- Briefing document
- Map of Airspace regions
Comments to this Consultation Draft closed 20 September 2013.