This instrument prescribes aircraft ratings for the purposes of regulations:
The following is a list of each of the instrument edition’s releases, including:
- 25 August 2014: this instrument first made as CASA 186/14
- 5 January 2015: the name of the instrument changed with the making of the Prescription of aircraft and ratings – Part 61 (Edition 1)
- 4 July 2017: edition 3 of the instrument made
- 23 November 2017: edition 4 of the instrument made
- 25 May 2018: edition 5 of the instrument made
- 30 August 2019: edition 6 of the instrument made
- 10 September 2020: edition 7 of the instrument made
- 21 May 2021: edition 8 of the instrument made
- 4 April 2023: edition 9 of the instrument made.
As new aircraft are introduced into Australia, they are considered for the purposes of prescribing them as:
- being type rated aircraft
- whether you need aircraft type differences training
- whether you need a type specific training and a flight review
- other similar requirements for Part 61.
This instrument is critical as it impacts those authorised to conduct training if required.
This instrument also works with the instrument made under regulation 142.045.
Regulation 142.045 identifies type-rated aircraft where training for the grant of that rating is conducted by a Part 141 operator rather than a Part 142 operator. Part 142 operators normally conduct type rating training.
A marked-up version of the old instrument is available to download:
You can use this for guidance purposed only. It shows what changes have been made to Edition 9 of the instrument. New text is underlined and highlighted. Deleted text is red with strikethrough formatting.
View the amended Prescription of aircraft and ratings – Part 61 (Edition 9) instrument on the Federal Register of Legislation website.