- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Flight crew licensing - Part 61
The flight crew licensing rules contained in Part 61 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) 1998 came into effect on 1 September 2014. The rules cover what flight crew need to do to obtain and maintain licences, ratings and endorsement and the limitations that apply to exercising their privileges.
All training for the grant of a Part 61 licence, rating or endorsement must be conducted by the holder of a Part 141 or Part 142 certificate.
To support the harmonisation of the regulations with international practices, competency-based training (CBT) standards were introduced for all CASA flight crew qualifications. These competency standards are consistent with Australian Government policy that requires vocational education and training to be:
- structured and competency-based
- delivered by qualified and competent instructors
- assessed against clearly-defined competency standards.
Manual of Standards
Part 61 Manual of Standards (MOS) supports flight crew licensing regulations by providing detailed technical material, such as technical specifications or standards.
- aeronautical knowledge and practical competency standards for all Part 61 licences
- ratings and endorsements
- standards for Part 64 authorisations
- all flight test, proficiency check and flight review standards.
Read the Part 61 Manual of Standards.
Licences and exams
Ratings and endorsements
- Aircraft category ratings
- Endorsements for aircraft category ratings
- Aircraft class or type ratings
- Endorsements for aircraft design features
- Operational ratings
- Endorsements associated with operational ratings
Guidance and resources
- Flight crew licensing information sheets
- Flight crew licensing regulations exemptions and instruments
- Part 61 booklet
- Flight crew licensing entry guide
- Search for Part 61 forms
- Licence examples
For all queries relating to Part 61, please email CLARC@casa.gov.au or phone 131 757.