Fact sheets and case studies
Aviation Medicine fact sheets
CASA has developed a series of aviation medicine fact sheets to help pilots and air traffic controller’s access and understand information regarding the aeromedical impacts of some health conditions.
- Alcohol fact sheet
- Anticoagulation fact sheet
- Asthma fact sheet
- Atrial fibrillation fact sheet
- Coronary artery disease fact sheet
- Depression and anxiety fact sheet
- Diabetes fact sheet
- Obstructive sleep apnoea fact sheet
- Stroke fact sheet
Aviation medicine case studies
Case studies have been prepared to illustrate the aeromedical impacts of some health conditions on pilots and ATCs and the potential implications for medical certification.
These case study scenarios have been prepared as an educational tool. They are based on a composite set of circumstances and potential outcomes that may have affected real individuals in the past.
They are intended to provide the reader with information to assist them to understand the potential impacts of significant medical conditions on aviation medical certification.
- Alcohol case-based scenario: Bad habits threaten to put Leo in the drink
- Anticoagulation case-based scenario: Racing heart can’t stop Eric in his tracks
- Asthma case-based scenario: Sigh of relief as aviation career takes off
- Atrial Fibrillation case-based scenario: Eric’s big but quivering heart
- Coronary Artery Disease case-based scenario: Heart-felt relief for Captain Anthony
- Depression case-based scenario: (Not so) High Anxiety
- Diabetes case-based scenario: Sweet outcome for remote cattle grazier
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea case-based scenario: Sleeping easy
- Stroke case-based scenario: Flying days end at a stroke
Specific medical conditions
More information on specific medical conditions can be found in the clinical practice guidelines.