12.3 Excluded medical conditions and prior endorsements
A DAME must refer to CASA any applicant for a Class 2 medical certificate to replace an expiring or expired Class 2 medical certificate, if any of the following endorsements had been placed on the previous Class 2 medical certificate that is to be replaced:
- DNR (Do Not Revalidate);
- CAR (CASA Audit Required).
A DAME delegate must not issue a Class 2 medical certificate for any excluded medical condition, and must refer to CASA for assessment where the previous medical certificate contained any of the following endorsements. If any excluded medical conditions are apparent or disclosed before or during a medical examination, the DAME must refer the applicant to CASA for assessment. The excluded medical conditions are that the applicant has, or has had, one or more of the following:
- coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction, stent, coronary artery by-pass graft (CABG), positive stress test, symptoms of any of these conditions;
- a permanent cardiac pacemaker;
- a heart transplant;
- a cardiac valve dysfunction or replacement;
- failed the Ishihara test;
- a visual field defect (not physiological)
- stroke, transient ischaemic attack (TIA), Parkinson’s Disease, transient or ongoing loss of control of nervous system function(s);
- transient global amnesia;
- syncope, vasovagal episode or other disturbance of consciousness;
- seizure or epilepsy;
- a personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
- a condition that can lead to psychosis or psychotic episodes;
- brain injury (traumatic or otherwise acquired);
- bipolar disorder;
- substance abuse within the last 5 years;
- substance dependence within the last 5 years;
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD);
- kidney stones;
- diabetes mellitus;
- cancer - except the following:
- a cancer which, on the date of the medical examination, has been in remission for at least 5 years;
- localised non-melanotic skin cancer, for example basal cell, and squamous cell, carcinoma.
- polypharmacy (that is, more than 3 drugs prescribed for more than 2 weeks simultaneously).
Despite subsection 12.3.2, a DAME may assess, and, if appropriate, issue an applicant with a Class 2 medical certificate endorsed CARD (CASA Audit Required by a DAME), provided that no excluded medical conditions are apparent or disclosed before or during a medical examination, (other than the conditions already subject to the CARD endorsement.)
We value your feedback.