About the campaign
Know Your Drone is a national drone safety education campaign by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). It challenges recreational drone flyers on their perceived knowledge of the safety rules, encouraging them to take a quiz to test their knowledge and find out more.
The campaign is led by a 30-second feature video that depicts two large plinths in an outdoor setting – one that says 'True' and the other 'False'. As questions about the drone safety rules are asked over a loudspeaker, drone flyers select an answer by flying their drone over the appropriate plinth.
Advertising targets people with varied drone flying experience, including current and emerging drone operators, different age groups, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds such as Arabic, Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarin and Cantonese.
The campaign features a range of digital advertising that is appearing online and across social media channels, as well as catch up TV, podcasts and streaming services. The first phase of the campaign ran from December 2019 until mid-June 2020.
Independent evaluation shows the Know Your Drone campaign was particularly strong, with the striking creative and effective placement each playing key roles in helping drive awareness and shift intention to follow the rules:
- the campaign gained significant market traction – at the campaign's conclusion, more than half of drone owners (and one third of intending purchasers) recognised the Know Your Drone campaign
- results indicate the campaign prompted strong behavioural reactions – three quarters of drone owners visited the Know Your Drone website, looked up drone safety rules on the CASA website, or completed the drone safety quiz in response to seeing the campaign
- general awareness and support of drone safety rules and regulations is strong and drone owners reported adopting safer flying practices in response to seeing the campaign.
A second phase of the campaign will run from December 2020 until end-February 2021.
Translated video advertisements
- Know your drone: flying over people rule (Arabic)
- Know your drone: one drone at a time rule (Arabic)
- Know your drone: emergency operations rule (Cantonese)
- Know your drone: 30 metre rule (Cantonese)
- Know your drone: airport rule (Korean)
- Know your drone: emergency operations rule (Korean)
- Know your drone: emergency operations rule (Mandarin)
- Know your drone: 30 metre rule (Mandarin)
- Know your drone: airport rule (Vietnamese)
- Know your drone: line-of-sight rule (Vietnamese)