- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Enhancing pilot skills in a dynamic environment
Using practical examples Tim Penney, Aviation Safety Advisor explains how pilots can enhance their radio communications skills around aerodromes and maintain situational awareness in a dynamic and changing environment. This seminar is also for pilots interested in developing and discussing defensive flying behaviours.
This video discusses human factors knowledge in three essential pilot skills:
- Communication — how aviation communication differs from our daily interactions. We examine why it is important to know the theory behind how we communicate and what can go wrong when we think we are getting the message across — but are we really?
- Situational awareness — we explain what this is and why it’s important when we are operating in a dynamic continually changing environment. We look at some of the reasons pilots perceive a different situation to the actual reality and identify some red flags to know when we may be losing 'the big picture'.
- Threat and error management — pilots learning how to fly today are introduced to this concept early on and as such it’s now second nature. If you are not aware of threat and error management, Tim discusses techniques to complement the technical aspects of flying an aircraft.