- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Expect the unexpected - check it, don't chance it
Flying is a dynamic activity, sometimes requiring quick decisions to ensure a safe and successful flight. Pilots must be vigilant and prepared to take action to counter hazards and unexpected situations.
To manage the unexpected pilots should focus on pre-flight planning, aeronautical decision-making and checklists.
The following products and resources are intended to help you ‘check it’ and contribute to an uneventful, safe fight.
Pre-flight planning: make the time to plan, expect the unexpected, think about the consequences
- Flight planning kit
- Pre-flight personal minimums checklist
- Time in your tanks card
- Visual Flight Rules Guide (VFRG)
- VFRG pilot checklist
- Passenger safety briefing
- Airservices Aeronautical Information Package
- Electronic flight bags
Aeronautical decision-making: have a plan B, when in doubt use a decision-making tool
- Safety Behaviours Human Factors for Pilots book 7: Decision-making
- Safety Behaviours Human Factors for Pilots video: Decision-making
Checklists: checklists save lives, you can’t remember everything
- Safety Behaviours Human Factors for Pilots book 2: Safety Culture – James Reason model ‘holes in the swiss cheese’
- Safety Behaviours Human Factors for Pilots video: Bits and pieces
Flight Safety Australia: curated reader-friendly articles, covering planning for safety, decision-making and checklists
- Checklists: why and how
- One thing at a time: a brief history of the checklist
- Point it, call it, get it right
- Close call: rush is the greatest enemy
- Locked into error
- Close call: do you have a checklist?
- Close scrapes: gear-up embarrassments that could have been nasty
- Close call: complacency can kill
- A winter’s tale
- Decide to survive – the art of decision making
- The myths of pilot error
- Close call: pre-flight distraction – it’s easy to get caught out!
Listen: Flight Safety Australia’s close calls have always been popular. Now you can listen and experience them like never before.
Downloads: help spread the word and encourage others to ‘check it, don’t chance it’ and be prepared to expect the unexpected
- Check it, don't chance it - web tile
- Check it, don't chance it - web banner
- Check it, don't chance it - social media graphic
Seminars: don’t forget to register to attend an AvSafety seminar near you.