The kit outlines the structure of a Safety Management System (SMS) that follows International Civil Aviation Organization's safety management principles.
You can adapt the kit to suit your organisation's needs and download the entire kit or each booklet.
There are 9 booklets, plus videos to help you develop your SMS.
Booklet 1 - Safety Management System basics
This is an overview of SMS. Booklet 1 includes:
- why you need and SMS
- why an SMS is important
- how it benefits your organisation
- components of an SMS
- the role of human factors in SMS
- toolkit for safety management.
Booklet 2 - Safety policy and objectives
This covers the role of management in the effectiveness of an organisation's SMS. Booklet 2 covers:
- setting up roles and expectations
- establishing clear policy guidelines
- fostering a safety culture and making sure everybody in the organisation supports the SMS.
Booklet 3 - Safety risk management
Learn how to identify the hazards in your organisation and how to control the risk. Booklet 3 looks at:
- defining safety risk management
- identifying safety hazards
- mitigating safety hazards and risk management
- the concept of as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP).
Booklet 4 - Safety assurance
Show that your SMS works. Booklet 4 shows you how to:
- monitor performance
- conduct an internal safety investigation
- manage organisational change
- continuously improve your safety system.
Booklet 5 - Safety promotion
Learn how important safety training and communication are for the success of your SMS. Booklet 5 focusses on:
- safety promotion
- identifying training needs
- creating a training plan
- evaluating training effectiveness
- safety communication.
Booklet 6 - Human factors
Understand the human factors that affect safety management. Booklet 6 looks at:
- understanding human factors
- errors and error management
- the relationship between human factors and SMS.
Booklet 7 - SMS for small, non-complex organisations
SMS is just as important for small charter organisations as it is for airlines. Booklet 7 defines:
- what is a small, non-complex organisation
- an ideal safety culture.
Booklet 7A - SMS for rural and regional airports
Learn about SMS for rural and regional airport in Booklet 7A.
Booklet 8 - Workbook
This workbook provides exercises so you can put your SMS theory into practice. Booklet 8 also looks at:
- safety objectives and planning
- appointing safety personnel
- conducting a gap analysis
- human factors in bush aviation.
We have created videos to complement the booklets.
You can watch our 2 videos, which feature a fictitious regional charter and training organisation as the owner makes critical decisions:
Our YouTube channel also has more information on aviation safety, including: