Resources and regulations for communication and navigation systems and air traffic management
We have regulations and aircraft equipment orders in place to support communications, navigation, surveillance and air traffic management (CNS/ATM).
Civil aviation orders (CAO) affect all pilots operating under instrument flight rules (IFR) and aircraft operating in Australia.
In December 2014, the following civil aviation orders were revised:
- CAO 20.91 - Instructions and directions for performance-based navigation.
- CAO 20.18 - Aircraft equipment - basic operational requirements for ADS and GNSS including mandates to be met between December 2013 and February 2017.
- CAO 20.18 Aircraft equipment - basic operational requirements
- CAO 20.91 Instructions and directions for performance based navigation
CASR Subpart 91.U and Manual of Standards (MOS) – Navigation Authorisations
AC 11-2(2) describes the steps involved in being granted an exemption against CAO 20.18. An application must be made in accordance with CASR Part 11.165. Exemptions will only be considered where an operator can demonstrate that an acceptable level of safety will be provided.
Authorisation for a single flight may be approved for a non-ADS-B equipped aircraft for the purpose of fitting ADS-B, importing an aircraft or exporting an aircraft manufactured before 6 February 2014. The operator must be able to demonstrate that the flight can be completed with an acceptable level of safety and will be coordinated with Airservices Australia.
Formal applications for a Part 11.165 exemption including the required documents and requests for a single flight authorisation must be submitted to email@example.com.
- Approved PBN databases
- CASA’s methodology for validation of Baro-VNAV Instrument approaches
- CASA 80/14 - Instructions - use of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)
- Airservices Australia’s Navigation Modernisation Project
- CAANZ AC 91-18 Aircraft Software Configuration Management
- A range of background information can also be found on the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) website.
- PBN - Navigation authorisations and specifications - Technical assessor handbook
- PBN - Navigation authorisations and specifications - Technical assessor worksheet