- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Resources and regulations for communication and navigation systems and air traffic management
We have regulations and aircraft equipment orders in place to support communications, navigation, surveillance and air traffic management (CNS/ATM).
Civil aviation orders (CAO) affect all pilots operating under instrument flight rules (IFR) and aircraft operating in Australia.
In December 2014, the following civil aviation orders were revised:
- CAO 20.91 - Instructions and directions for performance-based navigation.
- CAO 20.18 - Aircraft equipment - basic operational requirements for ADS and GNSS including mandates to be met between December 2013 and February 2017.
- CAO 20.18 Aircraft equipment - basic operational requirements
- CAO 20.91 Instructions and directions for performance based navigation
CASR Subpart 91.U and Manual of Standards (MOS) – Navigation Authorisations
Flights without required transponder or ADS-B transmitting equipment
CAO 20.18 has arrangements for flights where transponder or ADS-B transmitting equipment is temporarily unserviceable. Depending on the situation, CASA written authorisation may or may not be required.
Where a specific CASA written authorisation is required, AC 11-2(2) describes the steps involved in being granted an exemption against CAO 20.18. An application must be made in accordance with CASR Part 11.165. Exemptions will only be considered where an operator can demonstrate that an acceptable level of safety will be provided.
Formal applications for a Part 11.165 exemption including the required documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Approved PBN databases
- CASA’s methodology for validation of Baro-VNAV Instrument approaches
- CASA 80/14 - Instructions - use of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)
- Airservices Australia’s Navigation Modernisation Project
- CAANZ AC 91-18 Aircraft Software Configuration Management
- A range of background information can also be found on the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) website.
- PBN - Navigation authorisations and specifications - Technical assessor handbook
- PBN - Navigation authorisations and specifications - Technical assessor worksheet