- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Information for AOC and Part 141 certificate holders
The fuel new rules will commence on 8 November 2018. From this date, you’ll need to ensure that the following changes are included in your operations manuals:
- fuel reserve values that meet or exceed the minimums set in legislation (apart from specific values which may have an operational variation)
- a requirement to conduct in-flight fuel management
- matters related to aircraft specific fuel consumption data, operating conditions and potential for deviations from planned flights.
Many operations manuals already contain these requirements.
The new rules allow AOC holders and Part 141 operators to possibly reduce unnecessary fuel carriage through operational variations to specified fuel values. This may mean savings to both operators and the environment. Guidance and advisory material (CAAP-215) includes descriptions of the elements an operational variation to the specified fuel policy should contain.
There may also be a transition period for operators whose fuel policy has an existing variation to the specified fuel policy elements. You will have until either your AOC/certificate renewal or 12 months from the 8 November 2018 commencement date—whichever happens earlier—to incorporate the new requirements for existing operational variations in your operations manuals.
CASA will waive any charges and fees associated with the update of operations manuals—if the changes are only made to comply with the new fuel rules.
Explaining the rules
We have released guidance material to help explain how the changes work in practice.
For private pilots operating under visual flight rules (VFR) only, there’s a draft of the fuel pages that will appear in the revised Visual Flight Rules Guide (VFRG).
CAAP 234-1(2) covers aircraft fuel requirements and sample calculations:
- CAAP 234-1(2) (pdf 1.55 MB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex A - Sample Fuel Calculations - Single-Engine Piston Aeroplane (Cessna 210) (pdf 788.01 KB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex B - Sample Fuel Calculations - Multi-engine Turboprop Aeroplane (Beechcraft B200) (pdf 872.55 KB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex C - Sample Fuel Calculations - Multi-Engine Turbojet Aeroplane (Learjet 60) (pdf 847.84 KB)
There is also guidance for preparing or amending operations manuals – revised pages of the advisory material as CAAP 215-1(3):
- Amended CAAP 215-1(3) Part B, 2B2 (pages 28-30) (pdf 585.5 KB)
- Amended CAAP 215-1(3) Annex B, Appendix B9 - Fuel Policy and Associated Fuel Related Procedures (pdf 977.44 KB)
Please note: This material is in 'advanced copy (not yet in force)' form. It is anticipated the amendment as CAAP 215-1(3) will be issued on 8 November 2018, incorporating the fuel related changes.
View the full rules Civil Aviation (Fuel Requirements) Instrument 2018.