- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Getting licensed and certified to fly a drone
If you want to fly a drone commercially, you might need to be licensed and/or certified by us.
If you intend to fly a drone commercially that weighs between 100g and 2kg, you can fly your drone in our 'excluded' category. Find out more about the excluded category and the standard operating conditions that apply.
If you want to fly commercially outside of these standard conditions or your drone weighs more than 2kg, you will need to be licensed and/or certified to fly.
A remote pilot licence (RePL) is your individual permission to fly. If you hold a RePL, you will need to be employed by someone who holds a certificate to fly. These operators hold a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) operators certificate, or ReOC.
- Step 1: Get your remote pilot licence (RePL)
- Step 2: Get your remote operators certificate (ReOC)
- Step 3: Get permission to fly
Other useful information
- Become a certified training organisation
- ‘Can I fly there?’ drone app
- Resources and links
- Operation of RPA at night
- Operations between 30m and 15m - non-company personnel
- Information about submitting NOTAMs
Still have questions? Call us on 131 757 or contact us via our online enquiry form.