Cabin safety reference material
The links on this page will help aircraft operators and crew members find information relating to cabin safety.
If you have an enquiry please contact the cabin safety team on 131 757 and ask to speak to a cabin safety inspector or email email@example.com.
Flight Safety Australia articles
- How soon we forget - article about the overarching priority for all cabin crew members is safety
- Let it go, people - cabin baggage in emergencies
- Men in black - safety defenders - safety briefing video formats
- Sexy, serious or safe? - changes to the format of passenger safety briefings
- Taking the plunge - article about helicopter underwater escape training
- The floating world - highlights the importance of passenger management in ballooning
- Keep calm and carry-on - discusses oversized baggage
- You can't take it with you - highlights the importance of leaving your cabin baggage behind in an emergency
- Lithium battery in hot seat blaze - personal electronic device hazards
- Cabin safety App for safer fliers - new apps educating passengers about safety
- Non-technical skills - can they be taught? - suggested training approaches for non-technical skills
- Retention of knowledge and skills in first aid and resuscitation by airline cabin crew
- Staying safe against in-flight turbulence
- Public Attitudes, Perceptions and Behaviours towards Cabin Safety Communications
Effective crew coordination
- Birdstrike and inflight vibration involving Boeing 747-438 ER VH-OEH near San Francisco International Airport, United States, on 6 October 2016
- Tailstrike involving Airbus A320, VH-VGF at Melbourne Airport, Victoria on 11 May 2016.
Crew competence in emergency procedures
- Engine failure involving SAAB 340, VH-RXS near Dubbo Airport, NSW, on 23 March 2017
- Emergency evacuation involving Fokker F28, VH-NHY Perth Airport, WA, on 23 September 2016
- Depressurisation involving Fokker F28, VH-NHF, 49 km W of Newman Airport, WA on 7 June 2016
- Evacuation Hobart Airport, VH-VQI Boeing 717-200 17 May 2005
- Leading edge device failure, VH-OBN, Boeing 737-229 Norfolk Island, 29 December 2007.
Passenger control in emergencies
- Forced landing involving Bell 206, VH-ONE 39 km NNE Sydney Airport, NSW, on 11 June 2017
- In-flight uncontained engine failure Airbus A380-842, VH-OQA, overhead Batam Island, Indonesia, 4 November 2010.
Personal electronic devices
- Personal electronic device fire in-flight involving Boeing 747, VH-OJS, 500 km WNW of John F. Kennedy International Airport, United States, on 21 June 2016.
- Oxygen cylinder failure and depressurisation - Boeing 747-438, VH-OJK, 475 km north-west of Manila, Philippines, 25 July 2008.
- In-flight upset - Airbus A330-303, VH-QPA, 154 km west of Learmonth, WA, 7 October 2008
- Severe turbulence - Boeing 767-338, VH-OGR, Perth Airport, 20 May 2011.
- Collision with water involving Robinson R44, VH-SCM, Talbot Bay, Western Australia, on 23 April 2017.
Accident and incident reports from other regulators
- Loss of Thrust in Both Engines After Encountering a Flock of Birds and Subsequent Ditching on the Hudson River US Airways Flight 1549 Airbus A320-214, N106US Weehawken, New Jersey January 15, 2009
- Survival Factors Group Chairman’s Factual Report (186) - US Airways Flight 1549 - National Transportation Safety Board Washington, D.C
- Descent Below Visual Glidepath and Impact with Seawall. Asiana Airlines Flight 214 Boeing 777-200ER, HL7742 San Francisco, California July 6, 2013
- Aviation Investigation Report A05H0002 Runway Overrun and Fire Air France Airbus A340-313 F-GLZQ Toronto/Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Ontario 02 August 2005 -Transport Canada
- AAIS Case No AIFN/0016/2014 Final Report Hydraulic Fluid Mist and Protective Breathing Equipment Fire in the Passenger Cabin - Emirates A330 Karachi International Airport Pakistan - Oct 2014
- PT. Lion Mentari Airlines (Lion Air) Boeing 737-800; PK-LKS Ngurah Rai International Airport, Bali Republic of Indonesia 13 April 2013