- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Information for AOC and Part 141 certificate holders
The new fuel rules allow AOC holders and Part 141 operators to possibly reduce unnecessary fuel carriage through operational variations to specified fuel values. This may mean savings to both operators and the environment. Guidance and advisory material (CAAP-215) includes descriptions of the elements an operational variation to the specified fuel policy should contain.
If your existing fuel policy has a provision that equates to an operational variation, the time you have to provide the evidence to CASA that demonstrates how the operational variation will maintain or improve aviation safety will depend on the date of your AOC / certificate renewal date. For operational variations, see Section 8 of CASA Instrument 29/18.
If your AOC / certificate renewal occurs between 8 November 2018 and 28 February 2019, you had until the end of 28 February 2019.
If your AOC / certificate renewal occurs between 28 February 2019 and 8 November 2019, you will have until the date of your renewal.
Otherwise, you will have until 8 November 2019.
CASA will waive any charges and fees associated with the update of operations manuals—if the changes are only made to comply with the new fuel rules.
Explaining the rules
We have released guidance material and updated existing documents to help explain how the changes work in practice.
For more complex operations, CAAP 234-1(2) covers aircraft fuel requirements and sample calculations
- CAAP 234-1(2.1) (pdf 1.04 MB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex A - sample fuel calculations – single-engine piston aeroplane (Cessna 210) (pdf 267.67 KB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex B - sample fuel calculations – multi-engine turboprop aeroplane (Beechcraft B200) (pdf 326.75 KB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex C - sample fuel calculations – multi-engine turbojet aeroplane (Learjet 60) (pdf 331.33 KB)
For operators, CASA has updated the following documents to assist in preparing or amending your operations manual:
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) (pdf 448.19 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex A - policy procedures (pdf 192.56 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex B - aircraft operations (pdf 834.05 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex C - aerodromes routes (pdf 136.07 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex D - training and checking (pdf 269.61 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex E - list of headings (pdf 212.69 KB)
- Air operator's certificate handbook volume 2 — Flying operations (pdf 1.55 MB) - see chapter 6
- Operations manual change summary
- Sample manuals and documents
- CASR Part 141 sample operations manual and guide - refer to the Part 141 operations manual revision summary v3.1 for a list of updates
- CASR Part 142 sample exposition and guide - refer to the Part 142 exposition revision summary v3.1 for a list of updates
View the full rules Civil Aviation (Fuel Requirements) Instrument 2018.
If you are operating under the Fuel Requirements Exemption and require copies of pre-8 November 2018 guidance material email: email@example.com.