- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
'Additional fuel' has been introduced to simplify the planning requirements for fuel contingencies.
Prior to the rule change on 8 November 2018, pilots and operators had to calculate fuel to accommodate two contingencies; engine failure and depressurisation, each with different reserve requirements.
The new rules make this calculation simpler. Now the 'additional fuel' calculation is based whichever of the contingencies requires the greater amount of fuel plus a reserve fuel of 15 minutes plus an approach and landing allowance.
Like the contingency fuel it replaces, the planning for additional fuel depends on the aircraft being a pressurised and/or multi-engined aircraft.
Explaining the rules
We have released guidance material and updated existing documents to help explain how the changes work in practice.
For more complex operations, CAAP 234-1(2) covers aircraft fuel requirements and sample calculations
- CAAP 234-1(2.1) (pdf 1.04 MB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex A - sample fuel calculations – single-engine piston aeroplane (Cessna 210) (pdf 267.67 KB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex B - sample fuel calculations – multi-engine turboprop aeroplane (Beechcraft B200) (pdf 326.75 KB)
- CAAP 234-1(2) Annex C - sample fuel calculations – multi-engine turbojet aeroplane (Learjet 60) (pdf 331.33 KB)
For operators, CASA has updated the following documents to assist in preparing or amending your operations manual:
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) (pdf 448.19 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex A - policy procedures (pdf 192.56 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex B - aircraft operations (pdf 834.05 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex C - aerodromes routes (pdf 136.07 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex D - training and checking (pdf 269.61 KB)
- CAAP 215-1(3.2) Annex E - list of headings (pdf 212.69 KB)
- Air operator's certificate handbook volume 2 — Flying operations (pdf 1.55 MB) - see chapter 6
- Sample manuals and documents
- CASR Part 141 sample operations manual and guide - refer to the Part 141 operations manual revision summary v3.1 for a list of updates
- CASR Part 142 sample exposition and guide - refer to the Part 142 exposition revision summary v3.1 for a list of updates
View the full rules Civil Aviation (Fuel Requirements) Instrument 2018.