Proof of ID

We may ask you to provide us with proof of identification if you own an aircraft on the Australian Civil Aircraft Register. This includes aircraft registered by the Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA).

If you are both the aircraft's registration holder and registered operator, view Registered operators - proof of eligibility for individuals. The identification requirements for a registered operator are higher, therefore you will automatically meet the registration holder requirements.

Proof of identification for individuals

Registration holders under Part 47 of CASR must be a legal entity.

To prove your status as a legal entity, we will accept copies of:

  • Australian birth certificates (full or extract) or a current photo birth card from a registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • a birth certificate showing full legal name and date of birth details issued by another country
  • a current Australian passport
  • a current foreign passport
  • a current Document of Identity from the Australian Passport Office
  • an Australian naturalisation or citizenship document or immigration papers from the Department of Home Affairs
  • a current identity card for an Australian police force or Defence Force member, excluding civilian staff or family
  • a current consular photo identity card from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • a current proof of age card from an Australian state or territory government.

We only accept documents that:

  • government bodies issue
  • show your full legal name
  • need a comprehensive check of identity.

Proof of identity - general information

We do not accept driver's licences as proof of identity as they often do not include legal names.

If you will also be the registered operator for the aircraft, we need a higher level of identification to prove your status as an 'eligible person'.

There is no need to lodge evidence unless we request you provide such evidence.

Proof of identification for organisations

Registration holders under Part 47 of CASR must be a legal entity. A legal entity is:

  • a corporation incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001
  • a body incorporated under a law in force in Australia (other than the Corporations Act 2001)
  • the Commonwealth, a state or a territory
  • an agency of the Commonwealth, a state or a territory able to own property in their own right
  • a foreign corporation who can provide some evidence of incorporation showing it exists as a legal entity.

Acceptable evidence for an organisation

You may need to provide your organisation's Australian Company Number or Australian Registered Body Number.

We will confirm with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission your organisation's registration.

We accept any of the following as evidence of legal entity status:

  • for a state registered and incorporated body, a copy of a certificate of incorporation
  • for government bodies, a copy of the establishing statutory provision to prove it can exercise statutory rights. Highlight or clearly identify the relevant part of the document
  • for foreign corporations, a copy of a certificate of incorporation or equivalent document.

Translations of documents not in English

You must provide all documents in English. If your documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). It must also include the NAATI translator's stamp.

If you cannot provide these documents

The list of suitable documents is not exhaustive. We will consider other documents. Please contact us in advance to discuss other options.

We will make a determination and provide feedback within 5 working days.

If you submit documents that are not listed above as acceptable forms of identification without gaining prior approval, we may not accept them.

Back to top of page