- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online tools and apps
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Aerodrome operations rules and regulations
This page describes some of the regulations that affect aerodrome owners, but isn't a complete listing.
Civil Aviation Act 1988
The Civil Aviation Act doesn't have any sections directly related to aerodromes but it forms the basis of the regulations and how we enforce them.
Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR)
The CASRs are divided into a number of parts. Each part may have the following supporting documents:
- Manual of standards (MOS) has specifications (standards) prescribed by CASA, of uniform application, determined to be necessary for the safety of air navigation.
- Advisory circulars (ACs) provide recommendations and guidance to illustrate a means, but are not necessarily the only means of complying with the regulations. The advisories may explain certain regulatory requirements by providing interpretive and explanatory material.
Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR)
The CARs are gradually being replaced by the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR). Until they are completely replaced, you’ll need to refer to both sets of legislation.
The CARs are supported by a number of other documents:
- Civil aviation orders (CAOs) are published by CASA. The CARs require you to comply with the relevant CAOs. Relevant CAOs for aerodromes are:
- Civil aviation advisory publications (CAAPs) provide guidance and information or show a method acceptable to an authorised person or CASA for complying with a related civil aviation regulation. CAAPs should always be read in conjunction with the referenced regulations.
Other acts and regulations
Other acts and regulations are available through the links on the aviation legislation page.