Reporting unsafe behaviour
We are responsible for regulating and overseeing the maintenance, enhancement and promotion of civil aviation safety in Australia and the safety operation of Australian registered aircraft overseas. If you know about something affecting aviation safety, we would like to hear from you. These may include:
- the safe operation of aircraft
- flight crew qualifications and competence
- aerodromes and air traffic control
- aircraft maintenance
- aviation training
- issues concerning operating certificates and licences
- drug and alcohol testing
- medical standards and fitness
- dangerous goods
- any other matter that may have implications for aviation safety.
If you are making an anonymous or confidential report about an aviation safety matter there are some things you should consider:
- We are required to deal with individuals reporting safety concerns in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988. This means we will make every effort to not to disclose your identity, and any other personal information, when we when we look into the matter you report.
- However, it is possible that the people or organisation involved may infer, deduce or assume that you are the source of the information that has been given to us.
- Subject to our safety-related obligations, and in keeping with our obligations under the Privacy Act, we will use our best efforts to minimise the likelihood of such a connection being made. However, we cannot guarantee that this would not occur.
Safety concerns can also be reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) through the REPCON confidential reporting scheme. REPCON offers legislative protection to people reporting through that system, but the ATSB is also unable to offer absolute assurances of confidentiality. For further information, see the REPCON aviation confidential reporting scheme.
If the issue you are concerned about involves an aircraft accident or incident, you may also have reporting responsibilities under the ATSB’s mandatory reporting system. For further information on these mandatory reporting requirements, see the aviation accident or incident notification page on their website.
You can report unsafe operations, people or organisations putting aviation safety at risk, by calling us on 1800 074 737 or you can email email@example.com.