Drone safety signage aims to help drone flyers know where they can and can’t fly their drone for the safety of people, property and other aircraft operating in the area.
There are 2 types of signs:
- The Caution: drone rules apply is a warning sign. You can display this sign in public areas such as national parks, playgrounds or other populous areas.
- The No drone zone sign is a prohibition sign. It’s designed to tell people they must not fly their drone in the location it’s signposted without CASA approval.
Approval to display signs
You may need approval from us to display certain signs. The following explains the eligibility and approvals you need for each sign.
‘Caution: drone rules apply’ sign
You do not require CASA approval to display this sign.
‘No drone zone’ sign
You can only display the No drone zone sign within:
- 5.5 KM (3 NM) from a point along a runway centreline of a controlled airport
- the approach and departure path of a controlled airport.
You must get CASA approval to display this sign. If your installation site is located in a no drone zone, you may be eligible to receive free pre-cut printed aluminium No drone zone signs. To check if your installation site is in a no drone zone, use a CASA-verified drone safety app.
How to apply
To apply for No drone zone signage:
- Complete our online application form
- If approved, we will send you a confirmation of your approval within 10 business days and instructions on how to order your free signs (maximum of 5 signs per approval)
- Complete your order for free pre-cut printed aluminium No drone zone signs ($18.95 postage and handling fees apply).
For more information, visit: