- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page28 March 2019
Drone registration and accreditation scheme - update
CASA is planning to introduce a drone registration and accreditation scheme from later this year – but it has yet to be finalised.
This follows consultation with the community from 25 January to 22 February 2019, where we sought feedback on the details.
The proposed registration and accreditation requirements apply (with certain exceptions) to:
- drones more than 250 grams operated recreationally
- all drones operated commercially regardless of weight.
Key parts of our proposal were:
- flyers under 16 years of age need to be supervised by someone 18 or older who is accredited
- accreditation will be an online education course to make sure you know the rules - basically, watching video and answering a quiz
- registration for recreational flyers
- registration for commercial flyers
- CASA has yet to determine if you can register early or if there will be any leeway around the time of registration.
Keep up to date by subscribing to our Remotely piloted aircraft systems (Drones) mailing list. If you fly for fun, make sure you know the rules at Droneflyer.